BBC HomeExplore the BBC
This page has been archived and is no longer updated. Find out more about page archiving.

18 June 2014
Accessibility help
Text only
Legacies - Highland

BBC Homepage
 Legacies
 UK Index
 Highland
 Article
Gallery
 Archive
 Site Info
 BBC History
 Where I Live

Contact Us

Like this page?
Send it to a friend!

 
Highland
Orkney's Italian Gift

The one thing still lacking in the camp which deeply affected the morale of the prisoners was a chapel. This longing of the prisoners had been picked up on by the official War Office Inspector of POW Camps. In 1943, the arrival of a new camp commandant, Major T P Buckland, and an enthusiastic padre, Father Gioachino Giacobazzi, was to provide the catalyst that was to bring about the building of what became the Italian Chapel. In late 1943, Major Buckland gave the prisoners the use of two Nissen huts joined together, with the original intention of using one as a chapel and the other as a school.

Prisoners outside the chapel
© SCRAN
It was at this point that Chiocchetti allowed his imagination to soar free, and what emerged was a thing of wonder. He had little at his command but materials that were to all intents and purposes useless pieces of scrap, but he managed to bring together a team of prisoners with particular skills to aid him.

Among them were the electricians, Primavera and Micheloni; Palumbo, who had been a foundry worker before the war; and Bruttapasta, who was renowned for his work with cement.

The first part of the chapel to be decorated was the chancel, which remains the most beautiful part of the chapel. The corrugated iron of the hut was covered by plasterboard, and an altar, altar rail and holy water stoop were moulded in concrete. Behind the altar and sandwiched between two windows of painted glass, representing St. Francis of Assisi and St. Catherine of Siena respectively, Chiocchetti painted his masterpiece and perhaps the defining part of the chapel with its symbolic images of peace and friendship.

Interior of the Italian Chapel
© SCRAN
His fresco of the Madonna and Child was based on a prayer card his mother had given to him as he marched off to war, and which he had carried with him ever since. It was a depiction of the Madonna of the Olives, by the 19th Century Italian artist Nicolo Barabina

In Chiocchetti's representation of this, the baby Jesus carries an olive branch, as a symbol of peace. The Virgin is surrounded by Cherubs, the one to the left carrying the heraldic badge of Moena, a ship sailing from a tempest into calm weather, the one on the right sheathing a sword in its scabbard. The sanctuary vault was decorated by the painting of Seraphim and Cherubim and the symbols of the four evangelists.


Pages: Previous [ 1, 2, 3, 4 ] Next

Print this page
Interact
Interact is your section. Join in the community - send in your own articles, chat, and tell us what the word 'heritage' means in your part of the country.

Go To Interact >
Internet Links
WW2
– People's War
Scotland on Film
– Home Front.
The ScotsItalian Italian Chapel feature page.
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Web sites.
Belfast
The Belfast Tech
Related Stories
Guernsey the home of 32 Methodist chapels!
Trading bright lights for the light of serenity
Where was England's first mosque?




About the BBC | Help | Terms of Use | Privacy & Cookies Policy