Words in the News
Obstacle race in Germany
Episode 150513 / 13 May 2015
It looks like a marathon...
But strong legs are just one of the requirements to succeed in the Strongman Run.
About 11,000 competitors scramble over mud and slide on water. Fancy dress is optional.
The athletes even give each other a helping hand around the 23km Nurburgring racetrack in Germany.
This year's winner did it in just over an hour and a half.
a running race of just over 42km (just over 26 miles)
conditions which are necessary
move quickly but with difficulty
move easily over a surface
party clothes usually representing a particular thing or character
Use one of the words or phrases below to complete each of these sentences from news reports.
Note that you may have to change the form of a word to complete the sentence correctly.
marathon / requirements / scramble / slide / fancy dress
1. "However, it is important to remember that our universities have high-entry __________ and they will only offer places to students who will flourish and succeed on their courses. Admission to university is and should be based on merit, and any decisions about admissions must also maintain high academic standards."
2. For most runners, a __________ is not just 26.2 miles of physical endurance - it means months and months of arduous, painstaking preparation.
3. A pick-up truck has been captured __________ down an icy road in Alabama, before hitting other parked cars.
4. We've seen some pretty weird and wild __________ costumes but this could be the most realistic cat costume we've ever seen.
5. Mount Everest is a dangerous place, and the Khumbu Icefall is one of the most dangerous parts of the climb. At 06:00 local time on Saturday, we were __________ through its living, moving blocks of ice.
1. "However, it is important to remember that our universities have high-entry requirements and they will only offer places to students who will flourish and succeed on their courses. Admission to university is and should be based on merit, and any decisions about admissions must also maintain high academic standards."
2. For most runners, a marathon is not just 26.2 miles of physical endurance - it means months and months of arduous, painstaking preparation.
3. A pick-up truck has been captured sliding down an icy road in Alabama, before hitting other parked cars.
4. We've seen some pretty weird and wild fancy dress costumes but this could be the most realistic cat costume we've ever seen.
5. Mount Everest is a dangerous place, and the Khumbu Icefall is one of the most dangerous parts of the climb. At 06:00 local time on Saturday, we were scrambling through its living, moving blocks of ice.
Mới nhất Words in the News
Episode 150909 / 09 Sep 2015
Queen Elizabeth II has broken the record. She's now been on the throne longer than any other British monarch
Episode 150902 / 02 Sep 2015
One of the world's biggest festivals hits the streets of London
Episode 150826 / 26 Aug 2015
The art of recycling. Find out how plastic bags are being turned into pictures
Episode 150819 / 19 Aug 2015
New cafe in Tokyo offers customers the opportunity to hold a snake. Watch the video
Episode 150812 / 12 Aug 2015
Reducing plastic rubbish on Britain's beaches. Clean-up group gets busy in Cornwall
Episode 150805 / 05 Aug 2015
Pets take to the waves at a Californian event. Watch the video and learn new words
Episode 150729 / 29 Jul 2015
Could your garden be a source of green energy? Scientists use electricity from plants
Episode 150722 / 22 Jul 2015
Do you want to be in the movies? Thousands queue in London for the chance to be in a new JK Rowling film
Episode 150715 / 15 Jul 2015
Would you use a phone made out of grass? Take a look at some 'green' technology
Episode 150708 / 08 Jul 2015
What's causing a stink in Asia? Could it be the 'king of fruits'?!
Episode 150701 / 01 Jul 2015
Is being tall a good thing? Scientists study how giraffes move
Episode 150624 / 24 Jun 2015
Ivory objects destroyed in New York to curb trade behind killing of elephants
Episode 150617 / 17 Jun 2015
Nepalese government wants to bring back tourists after earthquake destruction
Episode 150610 / 10 Jun 2015
Can't afford an original painting by Picasso? Visit the place where cheap copies are made
Episode 150603 / 03 Jun 2015
Padlocks lovers attach to Parisian bridge became a nuisance, say the authorities
Episode 150527 / 26 May 2015
The skyscraper replacing the World Trade Center opens its top floor to the public
Episode 150520 / 20 May 2015
Pakistani teen campaigns to end practice of offering girls for marriage to resolve local disputes
Episode 150513 / 13 May 2015
About 11,000 athletes endure mud and water to try to win the race
Episode 150506 / 06 May 2015
Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's daughter is called Charlotte Elizabeth Diana
Episode 150429 / 29 Apr 2015
Conservationists want to bring the lynx back to the British countryside, but farmers are worried
Episode 150422 / 22 Apr 2015
Customs officials in Thailand capture four tonnes of smuggled ivory from the Democratic Republic of Congo
Episode 150415 / 15 Apr 2015
A castle in Poland has been transformed into a College of Wizardry to welcome Harry Potter fans
Episode 150408 / 08 Apr 2015
A museum in the Philippines wants visitors to be part of the picture
Episode 150401 / 01 Apr 2015
UK cook uses 100kg of chocolate to create two-metre-tall egg
Episode 150325 / 25 Mar 2015
People come together in Northern Ireland around a burning symbol of the future
Episode 150318 / 18 Mar 2015
Children who can't see get more active by playing with light and sound
Episode 150311 / 11 Mar 2015
Afghanistan's first female taxi driver
Episode 150304 / 04 Mar 2015
The sea is powerful. But how can it be used to create electricity? Find out about a plan to build the world's first lagoon power plant
Episode 150225 / 25 Feb 2015
A new type of onion has been developed that tastes good and won't make you cry
Episode 150218 / 18 Feb 2015
Some 500 tonnes of fruit are used in this Italian festival
Episode 150211 / 11 Feb 2015
Food literally flies to the table in restaurants in Singapore
Episode 150204 / 04 Feb 2015
New technology means we can now read texts written in Roman times
Episode 150128 / 28 Jan 2015
Teachers in Pakistan carry guns to protect school children after Taliban attack
Episode 150121 / 21 Jan 2015
The gap between rich and poor is growing wider, says Oxfam
Episode 150114 / 14 Jan 2015
Snow hits Saudi desert regions for the third year running
Episode 150107 / 07 Jan 2015
Zookeepers count more than 750 species in London
Episode 141231 / 31 Dec 2014
Trees left after Christmas are used to prevent floods in the UK
Episode 141224 / 24 Dec 2014
Why did Santa climb down a building 100 metres tall?
Episode 141217 / 17 Dec 2014
Maasai Olympics encourages young to show skills on sports rather than by killing lions
Episode 141210 / 10 Dec 2014
A new project brings road signs and house numbers to Cotonou in Benin
Episode 141203 / 03 Dec 2014
A tunnel is to be built near the ancient monument of Stonehenge. Watch the video and learn new words
Episode 141126 / 26 Nov 2014
Residents of the north-east United States fear floods as temperatures rise. Watch the video and learn new words
Episode 141119 / 19 Nov 2014
A British man drives his girlfriend's car round an ex-Grand Prix circuit. Watch the video and learn new words
Episode 141112 / 12 Nov 2014
Two adventurers cross Zimbabwe's Victoria Falls on a high wire. Watch the video and learn new words
Episode 141105 / 05 Nov 2014
Hundreds of puppets bring colour to the streets of Bangkok. Watch the video and learn some new words
Episode 141029 / 29 Oct 2014
British academies train people in urban running. Watch the video and learn some new words
Episode 141022 / 22 Oct 2014
Men and women take part in a colourful event in London. Watch the video and learn some new words
Episode 141015 / 15 Oct 2014
Couples should support each other. But, does that mean you need to carry your wife?
Episode 141008 / 08 Oct 2014
The world's biggest guitar is on show in the US. Watch the video and learn new words
Episode 141001 / 01 Oct 2014
Will changes in cigarette packets make people smoke less? Watch the video and learn new words
Episode 140924 / 24 Sep 2014
Visit the bank which operates inside Peru's biggest prison. Watch the video and learn new words