9 December 2015
Episode 151209 / 09 Dec 2015
Syrian rebels leave Homs
Paris: Missed warnings
Syrian rebels have begun leaving the last areas they've been holding in the city of Homs. A local ceasefire agreed with the government is allowing them to leave. It's a deal which means that the entire city is now back in government hands.
An opportunity to arrest the suspected ringleader of last month's attacks in Paris may have been missed. Abdelhamid Abaaoud slipped through an international operation to capture him in January, while he was in the Greek capital, Athens.
Two Maasai farmers have been charged after allegations that they poisoned a famous pride of lions in Kenya. Eight lions from the Marsh Pride in the Maasai Mara National Reserve are being treated for poisoning. Two others have been found dead. It's thought that the lions had killed three of the farmers' cows.
Words and phrases and definitions:
agreement to stop fighting
leader of a criminal group
statements that haven't been confirmed
Use one of the words or phrases from Lingohack to complete each of these sentences. Note that you may have to change the form of a word or phrase to complete the sentence correctly.
ceasefire / ringleader / allegations
1. Peter was suspended from work. There had been __________ of bullying in the company.
2. A __________ will give both sides the opportunity to negotiate.
3. It was a daring robbery. The __________ was sentenced to ten years in prison.
1. Peter was suspended from work. There had been allegations of bullying in the company.
2. A ceasefire will give both sides the opportunity to negotiate.
3. It was a daring robbery. The ringleader was sentenced to ten years in prison.