Mi Vida Loca - User guide
As an online video-rich experience, Mi Vida Loca requires a broadband connection.
You can find out more about broadband on BBC Webwise.
It may sound obvious but make sure your speakers or headphones are plugged in and working. Although at times you have to say things out loud, you don't need a microphone.
1. Full screen button: use it to toggle the size of the video frame and pop-up window. If you're using tabs, you'll have to maximise the window too.
2. Sound button: click once to display volume control, twice to mute.
3. Scene bar: click during or at the end of an episode to go back over individual scenes before closing the window
4. Review button: click to replay the last phrase while a video is playing
5. Play/pause control
6. Skip control: click to jump forward
7. English subtitles: click on ENG to turn them on and off
8. Spanish subtitles: click on ESP to turn them on and off
Mi Vida Loca has been optimised as far as possible for a smooth experience. However, the video and subtitles may not load or play properly if your internet connection slows down.
Possible reasons are given on BBC Webwise, though you may need to contact your Internet Service Provider (ISP).
If you are having trouble loading an episode there are a few things you can try the following:
- Close the windows of any other episodes you may have open before starting a new one.
- Close any other video players or stop any other downloads that may be happening in the background.
- Close and re-open your browser and start again.
- The problem may be related to high demand on your local network or exchange. In this case, it's worth trying again at another time.
If all of this fails or you experience any other glitches or problems, please let us know.
The English commentary is translated in the subtitles, but not always word for word. The word order may be different in each language, or some expressions just don't translate, so an equivalent in the other language is used.
As this is a beginners' course, the more advanced Spanish isn't explained, just translated. If you're learning the language from scratch, you may want to use the subtitles to get a feel for the language at a higher level. If you already know some Spanish, you may find them useful for picking up new expressions.
Throughout Mi Vida Loca people speak at different paces:
1. The talking phrasebook speaks slowly and clearly to help you learn the language
2. The actors in the dramatic scenes perform at normal native speed but take care to speak clearly.
3. The real people, such as the taxi drivers or the waiters, play themselves in their everyday jobs. They speak at their normal pace, which may sound fast and unclear to a beginner, but you have the opportunity to replay and, eventually, develop the skill to understand them. This will stand you in good stead when you go to a Spanish-speaking country.
Printable versions of the vocabulary, grammar and practice pages are available in the Learning Sections and on the Syllabus & Printouts page, just click on the printer icon.
Apart from the video-only versions on the website, there are two more based entirely on the drama and without the language explanations. They are shown in a single block once a year on BBC Two Learning Zone. They are all available in the Learning Zone Broadband Class Clips, although this service is only available within the UK.
Unfortunately, we can't currently provide video downloads for Mi Vida Loca and there are no plans to make the series available as a DVD. However, Mi Vida Loca does not have a shelf-life: we are not planning to take it offline.
The video-only versions are shown in a single block once a year on BBC Two Learning Zone.
Apart from the ones on the website, there are two more video-only versions based entirely on the drama and without the language explanations. They are all available in the Learning Zone Broadband Class Clips, although this service is only available within the UK.
Mi Vida Loca: A certificate in 12 weeks
Receive weekly episode reminders, complete the course and a final test to get your personalised certificate