A shared vision and a unique opportunity
The BBC’s goal is to be the most creative organisation in the world. With BBC North, we’re taking a step nearer to making this a reality. Creating great programmes and websites loved by audiences across the UK will be the most important thing on the agenda and we will need the right people on our teams to help us to deliver this. There will be hundreds of opportunities for talented, ambitious and creative people.
Here’s a taste of what we stand for, what we’ll expect from you and, of course, what we’ll offer you in return.
To innovate, inspire, surprise: always looking beyond tomorrow.
Inspired by the north of England, to bring groundbreaking ideas and outstanding creativity to everyone.
- Opportunities to work on some of the most compelling content
- The personal responsibility, autonomy and trust to contribute
- The chance to look for new ways to bring audiences and communities into the heart of our work
- We’ll make it easy for people with the right talent to access opportunities
- The recognition and celebration of excellence, innovation and creativity
- Exciting and interesting work that enhances your employability
- The support you need to ‘own’ your career development
- Collaborative and flexible working with people within and outside the BBC
- Original thinking in the work that you do, always seeking to unlock creativity and bring new and unexplored ideas to life
- The readiness to seek new ways to bring audiences and communities into the heart of your work
- An openness to new ideas that will connect with people inside and outside the BBC
- Responsibility for your decisions and actions
- A can-do attitude and a determination not to allow the first hurdle to be a barrier to your ideas or your career
BBC North is an opportunity to transform the way the BBC operates.
It’s our chance to reassess everything we do - how we work with each other and how we link with our audiences, local communities and the wider media world.
Our Salford Quays complex reflects this new thinking. The buildings have been designed to provide a creative and inspirational environment - one where you’ll have the freedom and equipment you need to produce brilliant work.
However, the one thing that won’t change is our commitment to diversity. We’ll continue to be a place where people’s differences are recognised and valued. We’ll also keep on making sure our buildings remain accessible for everyone who works or visits here.
With all this in mind, it’ll come as no surprise to find that we’ll be considering applications solely on the basis of merit. Your talent, creativity and openness to new ideas are the only things that will matter to us.
Hear from the people who know best - our staff
Moving to the North makes sense for so many reasons
The majority of our audience lives outside London, and as a public service broadcaster, we need to deliver quality and value to all the UK’s fee payers. Moving more of what we do out of London will help us better reflect the different perspectives of all communities. Put simply, it supports our commitment to:
- making content relevant for the whole of the UK
- developing creative industries across the UK
- putting the BBC visibly at the heart of our communities
Also, the North of England is currently the least well served region in terms of licence fee invested per capita. BBC North will help us redress this imbalance – establishing a major new ‘creative hub’ that we, our audiences and the wider northern community and economy will collectively benefit from. It will also tap into the huge pool of talent that exists in the North of England.