mound covered a passage grave and burial chamber.
passage grave consisted of a narrow passage leading to a large oval chamber.
Two small side chambers projected from the north and south walls.
raised platform led to a small end chamber located at the western side
of the main chamber. This area was probably the most sacred area of the
chapel on top of the burial mound
large upright stones and capstones in the tomb itself came from various
places in the east of the island. They would have been set into place
using earth ramps, wooden rollers and a lot of manpower.
of the tomb
referred to as a tomb, the site would probably have served a much more
complex purpose, with a number of ritual and ceremonial functions.
remained open and in use for several centuries, before the tomb was finally
sealed and the site abandoned.
pagan to Christian
Hougue Bie would have been recognised as a pagan site from early times,
and was christianised
in the twelfth century.
of a saint on the chapel roof
chapel was constructed on the summit
of La Hougue Bie, and possibly replaced an older wooden structure.
chapel remained in use for about four centuries, until the Jerusalem chapel
and crypt were built in 1520.
chapels were abandoned around the Protestant reformation, and later fell
into ruin. They were extensively rebuilt and reconsecrated in 1931.
Hougue Bie was reoccupied in the 18th century. Shortly after 1780 the
D'Auvergne family transformed the chapel ruins into a Neo-Gothic style
one of the chapels
interiors of the chapels were extensively modified to produce a large
hall with windows at both ends.
the end of the 18th century the house was abandoned and quickly fell into
of the German occupation
ruined towers of La Hougue Bie became an important landmark and tourist
attraction. In 1859 it was described as 'the wonder of the island's wonders'.
1920 the site was bought by the Societe Jersiaise for use as an historic
on the 10th March 1942 German forces began to build a battalion command
bunker into the eastern side of the Neolithic mound.
the next few years a total of 70 trenches were dug in the grounds, causing
extensive archaeological damage.