|La Croix de la Reine|
Until St. Helier was extended by land reclamation, the sea wall ran along the length of Broad Street back towards Bond Street and the Town Church. Charing Cross marked the Western extremity of St. Helier and was the location of Jersey's prison from 1693 to 1811.
The Prison buildings formed and arch across the western approach road through which traders and market-goers had to pass. Until this first town prison was built, Jersey's prisoners had been held at Mont Orgueil - which had proved both inconvenient as the Court was located in St. Helier.
When the jail was demolished in a very poor state in 1811, it was in turn replaced by one in Newgate Street where the Gwyneth Huelin Wing of the Hospital now stands.
|The Charing Cross Crapaud|
In December 2004 Gordon Young's commemorative 1204-2004 sculpture was unveiled. The base is a granite column inscribed with the 1698 Le Geyt code of law - a document which listed some of the crimes committed and punishments metered out.
Above the column is a large metal toad or ‘crapaud’ which has come to be the symbol and nickname of Jerseymen. The marshes and sand dunes which were the natural features of this area was a prime habitat for the little toads which today are declining in numbers.
Opposite the crapaud is Jersey's Silver Jubilee sculpture from 1977, La Croix de la Reine. The scuplture depicts various aspects of St. Helier including a milk can, the town pump and the gold torque which is on display in Jersey Museum.
Moving on to Point 8
|The Waterfront Centre|
Follow the left hand fork towards Sand Street car park and then turn left into Castle Street. Follow the road to the junction with The Esplanade and cross here and again at the underpass to reach the Waterfront Centre.
From here enter the pedestrian plaza and then take the path which runs behind The Bar and the swimming pool. Cross the road and head between the modern apartments towards the Jubilee Needle which is now directly ahead of you.