The Nothe Fort was built at Weymouth by the Royal Engineers between 1860 and 1872 to house a battery of massive cannons as part of the defences of Portland Harbour. It has been restored and opened to the public by Weymouth Civic Society. It remained in service until 1961 when it was sold to Weymouth Council.
During WW2 it witnessed the embarkation of the 1st (Big Red One) Division of the United States Army destined for the bloody beaches of Omaha on D-Day.
Today its 70 rooms on three levels - (Ramparts, Courtyard and Magazines), contain displays including dioramas, ship, aircraft and tank models, photographs and exhibits. The Heritage Lottery Fund has recently awarded The Weymouth Civic Society a grant to ensure the survival of this important National Monument for the enjoyment of future generations. The Nothe Fort is a registered museum and well worth a family visit with magnificent views of Portland and Weymouth harbours and the World Heritage coastline of Dorset.
e-mail at email@example.com