- Contributed by
- People in story:
- Kenneth H. Rickard
- Location of story:
- St Dennis and Goss Moor, Cornwall.
- Article ID:
- Contributed on:
- 28 November 2005
This story has been added by CSV volunteer Linda Clark on behalf of the author Kenneth H Rickard. It is an extract from a book he wrote in 2004 called 'St Dennis and Goss Moor', published by Halsgrove of Tiverton, Devon. They fully understand the site's terms and conditions.
New farm machinery was in short supply in Englnd during the war because the engineering industry was fully occupied by production for the war effort. Under a 1941 agreement between Britain and America called 'Lend-Lease', our farming industry was boosted by a supply of machinery from the US. Tractors were the most welcome of the machines supplied and because of its power and size the American 'Oliver 90' was the most sought after.
Two of these tractors were supplied to farmers in the locality, one to Viv Smale of Goss Moor and the other to Dick Parkyn of Treliver Farm, near Ruthers, both of whom were farming contractors. These new tractors benefited all local farms and smallholdings as they were available for hire in order to assist in the cultivation and threshing work.
© Copyright of content contributed to this Archive rests with the author. Find out how you can use this.