BBC HomeExplore the BBC
This page has been archived and is no longer updated. Find out more about page archiving.

15 October 2014
WW2 - People's War

BBC Homepage
BBC History
WW2 People's War Homepage Archive List Timeline About This Site

Contact Us

Mrs. Hirst: Second World War Memories: In the WRNS

by Huddersfield Local Studies Library

Contributed by 
Huddersfield Local Studies Library
People in story: 
Marjorie Hirst, nee Crowe
Location of story: 
Mirfield, London, Weymouth, Southampton, Exbury
Article ID: 
Contributed on: 
27 February 2004

This story has been submitted to the People's War website by Sarah Harding of Kirklees Libraries on behalf of Mrs Hirst and has been added to the site with her permission. The author fully understands the site's terms and conditions.

Second World War Memories of Marjorie Hirst, nee Crowe.

In 1939 I was working in a solicitor's office in Mirfield, where there were two male and two female staff. The men had to join up, but the solicitor suggested that if my female colleague and I were willing to take on more work he thought he would be able to apply for deferment orders for us. These applications were successful until January 1944 when one was refused and I had to attend an interview at the Labour Exchange. My father had told me to ask for a job at the NAAFI offices in York as I was an only child, and it would have been nearer to home, but there were no posts available there. However, shorthand typists were wanted for the WRNS.

I had to have a medical and other tests and then was sent to Headingley for training. I had met two other girls during the tests and was to stay with one of them during our training and throughout most of the war. My training lasted for three weeks and included marching, floor washing and toilet cleaning!

After training my friend and I were sent to a holding depot in Portsmouth, and then on to London, where we lived in a new block of flats in Notting Hill. These were thought to be luxury - they had parquet floors and fitted furniture. We took the Tube every day to work, in an office by the Catholic cathedral in Victoria. Here we were working in combined ops, where all the forces were working together. We had to sign the Official Secrets Act as we were typing the orders for Gold Beach (I was a Force G Wren at this time) which covered the area of Caen and Arromanches in Normandy.

From London we were drafted to Weymouth where landing exercises were taking place. We were working very long hours - sometimes from 9am to 1am the following morning, with interruptions for air raids when we would have to go up and down to and from the shelters. We were working with manual duplicating machines, making a thousand copies of each page. We realised that the work we were doing was secret and that it was very important. We were never given two pages which followed each other.

Over the D-Day period my friend and I were sent to Southampton. Here equipment was being assembled under camouflage in the wooded areas outside the town, ready to go on the ships. During this time I saw many important figures, including Churchill, Montgomery and Eisenhower. Six days before D-Day King George VI came to inspect the fleet, including the Force G HQ ship, HMS Bulolo. Sixteen Wrens were wanted to be on board the ship when the King visited; lots were drawn to choose the lucky sixteen and I was one of them. We were taken down the Solent in small boats and climbed up the ladder on the side of the ship. Our uniform had to be very spick and span - it was a great honour to be there.

We realised that D-Day was imminent, although it had to be delayed for one day because of bad weather. We heard aircraft during the night of the 5th and 6th and realised that the invasion had started. There was a sense of anti-climax; we had worked so hard up till then but we were at a loose end once D-Day started - we went to the cinema about four times in two days!

We had to do the reports after D-Day and were drafted to Exbury in the New Forest on the Rothschilds estate. The WRNS quarters were in the Montagu Arms Hotel in Beaulieu but these were full, so some farm cottages were requisitioned for us. We should have gone to France in the follow-up to D-Day but our CO had to go to hospital for an operation so we stayed in England. After this we were sent back to London, and Force G was then disbanded. From then I served in London, Great Yarmouth and Lowestoft until I was demobbed in July 1946.

We did have time off as well as our periods of hard work - while we were working in Portsmouth and Southampton we used to hitch lifts to Bournemouth. We weren't worried about hitching - war time was dangerous, but the danger was different from what it is now. We also had transport laid on to take us to dances, so we had entertainment as well as hard work!

I have attended the Festival of Remembrance ceremonies in the Albert Hall and found it very moving when the poppies came down. Until last year, when she died, I was still in touch with my friend I had met during training - we had trained together and attended WRNS reunions together. I am also still in touch with two other friends who now live in Somerset and Wick; having attended the 40th and 50th anniversaries of D-Day together, we hope all to attend the 60th anniversary together, at Exbury and Beaulieu.

© Copyright of content contributed to this Archive rests with the author. Find out how you can use this.

Forum Archive

This forum is now closed

These messages were added to this story by site members between June 2003 and January 2006. It is no longer possible to leave messages here. Find out more about the site contributors.

Message 1 - Second World War Memories

Posted on: 23 March 2004 by Peter - WW2 Site Helper

Dear Marjorie

What a superb story! Well written, informative, and a joy to read.

Kind regards,


Message 1 - Second World War Memories - in the WRNS

Posted on: 10 June 2004 by Audrey Lewis - WW2 Site Helper

Dear Marjorie Hirst,
I was delighted to read the account of your time in the WRNS during the war years. Women were sometimes forgotten in those important days. I was particularly interested in your story because I went into the WRNS at the end of 1947 as a volunteer myself. I empathise with you. Thank you for sharing your story with us. I hope you'll remember more stories of the war years.
All good wishes,
Audrey Lewis

Archive List

This story has been placed in the following categories.

Women's Royal Naval Service Category
D-Day+ 1944 Category
Bradford and West Yorkshire Category
Hampshire Category
icon for Story with photoStory with photo

Most of the content on this site is created by our users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of any external sites referenced. In the event that you consider anything on this page to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please click here. For any other comments, please Contact Us.

About the BBC | Help | Terms of Use | Privacy & Cookies Policy