- Contributed by
- CSV Action Desk Leicester
- People in story:
- Chris Bell, of the Tommy Adkins Society
- Location of story:
- Article ID:
- Contributed on:
- 06 July 2005
Leiws Gun in Victoria Park, courtesy of Chris Bell of the Tommy Adkins Society
The Lewis gun was designed before the 1st World War, but is seen here in service on Victoria Park in Leicester in 1940. The men are an attachment of the Royal Army Ordnance Corp. The equipment and some of the clothing date from the Great War. Ordinance Corps were not front line troops, hence the lack of up-to-date equipment. It is likely that these men were either reservists or Territorial Army. At Dunkirk the army had lost most of its equipment in France so older ordnance was brought into service. Lewis guns where commonly used in anti-aircraft drills, such as the one taking place here.
© Copyright of content contributed to this Archive rests with the author. Find out how you can use this.