BBC HomeExplore the BBC
This page was last updated in February 2012We've left it here for reference.More information

29 August 2014
Accessibility help
Text only
WW2 - People's War

BBC Homepage
BBC History
WW2 People's War Homepage Archive List Timeline About This Site Print this page 

Contact Us

Like this page?
Send it to a friend!


WW2 Diary of Winifred Sarah Elizabeth Middleton (part five)

by nottinghamcsv

You are browsing in:

Archive List > United Kingdom > London

Contributed by 
People in story: 
Eric Middleton, Winifred Sarah Elizabeth Middleton, Edwin B Tomlinson, Doris Lockwood, Ann Elizabeth Middleton, George William Middleton, Sarah Jane Middleton, Robert Middleton
Location of story: 
Rainham, Essex
Background to story: 
Article ID: 
Contributed on: 
14 September 2005

"This story was submitted to the People's War site by CSV/BBC Radio Nottingham on behalf of eric Middleton with his permission. The author fully understands the site's terms and conditions"

April 8th 1941 Tuesday
No word from Edwin. I do hope he is well. Perhaps I shall hear to-day. Mother and I hope to visit Auntie Tily at Leigh on Sunday next (Easter Sunday) Jerries over to-night - Five more down.

April 9th 1941 Wednesday
I believe we are having an extra day for Easter. Nearly all the firms are working this Good Friday. I want to go up to. Town on Monday. Should like to go to the Zoo. We brought 10 Jerries down - Fall of Salonika. Edwin phoned to-day. Is sending me a surprise for my birthday - something to eat. Feel "tops" to-day.

April 10th 1941 Thursday
Pay Day Hooray! Mother has a very bad sore throat, hope she will be OK for Sunday. The weather is glorious, rather cold, but beautiful sunshine.

April 11th 1941 Good Friday
Mother's cold developed, its much worse. I am afraid she will be unable to go on Sunday. Not much doing at the office. Uncle Bob sent us a lovely bass of fish

April 13th 1941 Easter Sunday
Awoke very early this morning and was up just after 7 am. Mother not fit to get up so persuaded her to stay in bed. I caught the 9.16 am coach and was down at Leigh by 11.15 am. I had a lovely day with Aunties Tilly & Marie. They made me promise to take Mother as soon as she is better, and have strict instructions to leave her for a little holiday which will do her the world of good.

April 14th 1941 Easter Monday
Met Sidney at Barking and spent the day at the Zoo. It was years since I had been. We thoroughly enjoyed it. The monkeys were great fun and the bears were lovely especially when they sat up. I wish I had taken the camera. When I arrived home, who should be there but Eric. He's nearly as tall as me - looks fine too. He's in the R.C.S. too. Mother's cold seems a little better.

April 15th 1941 Tuesday
Beautiful day. Edwin phoned me this morning, sending my surprise off to-day. Johny is on leave so expect to hear from him one day this week. Am going to Miss W's to-morrow. Maybe we shall be lucky and get a coat to suit her.

April 16th 1941 Wednesday
Wonderful weather. Mother's cold slightly better. I hope she will be able to go away the weekend after next. I am dosing her with Famel Syrup.

April 17th 1941 Thursday
Arrived home just after Siren had gone 9.15 pm - was in bed by 9.30 pm AA very heavy, one of the worst raids we have ever had. Planes kept coming over all night long - concentrated attack on London and the Thames Estuary. Nearly all the roads are closed at home - no Green Line running this morning but I was very lucky Had a lift to Barking By-pass -road was closed, also Blakes corner had gone - Killiwicks the Furnishers! Its just a heap all traffic diverted. Managed to get a coat last night for Miss W. Went to see George Formby in "Spare a Copper".

April 18th 1941 Friday
Very good film, thoroughly enjoyed it. Spent the night at Ilford.

April 19th 1941 Saturday
The worst raid we have ever had.

April 20th 1941 Sunday
Mother's cold doesn't seem to improve so I suggested we had some hot whiskey and went to bed early. Well we had just got into bed when the S.S. 9.20 pm We stayed there until 10.20 pm - AA very heavy so we thought we had better get up. We sat in the living room until 11.30 Dm it was terrific. He dropped an awful lot of bombs all round, however it seemed to ease off a bit so we went back to bed. I dropped off to sleep and awoke about 2 am - All Clear 4.45 am ! Mother's bag fell down. I jumped out of bed to pick it up and there was a terrific bang and all the windows came in !! I threw myself on the floor and mother sat up !! holding the sheet in front of her and saying "Oh Win the windows have come in " !!!! Father had dressed and was standing in the hall & the fanlight and pantry windows blew in and the front door lock blew off!! Also half the roof !!We got up and Mr Stacey came over to be with us. Father made us a cup of tea which cheered us up very much. Thank God we are alive and unhurt. Mother and Dad were simply marvelous. Land mine dropped in the Park opposite that caused the trouble. Sunday afternoon it poured with rain and all the rain came in the bedroom and front room !! Mr & Mrs Sharp came down Sunday afternoon. They had been bombed out and so came to us. They were black with soot !! Both had a bath and then some tea. Then they felt much better. We shot down two raiders. Jerries dropped nearly all land mines.

© Copyright of content contributed to this Archive rests with the author. Find out how you can use this.

Archive List

This story has been placed in the following categories.

London Category
icon for Story with photoStory with photo

Most of the content on this site is created by our users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of any external sites referenced. In the event that you consider anything on this page to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please click here. For any other comments, please Contact Us.

About the BBC | Help | Terms of Use | Privacy & Cookies Policy