BBC HomeExplore the BBC
This page has been archived and is no longer updated. Find out more about page archiving.

15 October 2014
WW2 - People's War

BBC Homepage
BBC History
WW2 People's War Homepage Archive List Timeline About This Site

Contact Us

My Uneventful War

by cambsaction

You are browsing in:

Archive List > United Kingdom > London

Contributed by 
People in story: 
Eva Baker, Charles (husband), Moreen (eldest), Yvonne (younger)
Location of story: 
London (NW10 Willesden)
Background to story: 
Article ID: 
Contributed on: 
29 December 2005

This story was submitted to the People's War site by a volunteer from BBC Radio Cambridgeshire on behalf of Mrs Eva Baker and has been added to the site with her permission. Mrs Baker fully understands the site's terms and conditions.

I was 21 in August 1939. I was looking forward to my party in September after getting married. The party was cancelled as war was declared on 3 September 1939. Nothing happened. No bombs. When it did start it was the end of the year and it started in the east end of London. We were living in a flat. Incendiary bombs were dropped and London was in flames. My husband was an engine driver (like for the Royal Scot), and was away a lot doing long distance driving. I was at home alone a lot. When the bombs fell I could see the flames. A land mine was dropped on the road next to us and the windows of the flat were shattered. I was pregnant at the time. The old London City Council evacuated me to Amersham in Buckinghamshire. I was in a home for expectant mothers. There were 30-40 other mothers there and my husband was able to visit me. I stayed there until the baby was born five to six weeks later.

After the baby was born I moved back to London, but my mum, who lived in Watford, didn't like me living there. Moreen, the baby, and I went to live with my mum in Watford before eventually moving back to the flat in London. Back in London, life went on. Some bombs were worse than others. I stayed in the flat with my husband and the baby for a time until we were later evacuated when the bombs started again. In 18 months I had another child who was born in London, as well. As the bombings became worse, I was evacuated with the two children to Shrewsbury to what was quite a small terrace house (I believe they were relations and there were quite a few of them living there.)

At the end of the war I returned with my two children to the London flat, as Moreen was starting school. She caught whooping cough and then passed it on to Yvonne, my youngest daughter. It was quite a time!

© Copyright of content contributed to this Archive rests with the author. Find out how you can use this.

Archive List

This story has been placed in the following categories.

London Category
icon for Story with photoStory with photo

Most of the content on this site is created by our users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of any external sites referenced. In the event that you consider anything on this page to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please click here. For any other comments, please Contact Us.

About the BBC | Help | Terms of Use | Privacy & Cookies Policy