- Contributed by
- People in story:
- Richard Sydney Wilkie and Julia Mary Frost (nee Wilkie)
- Location of story:
- Background to story:
- Article ID:
- Contributed on:
- 22 January 2006
The image attached to this story cannot be viewed for moderation or technical reasons
My father, Richard Sydney Wilkie, was posted overseas during the War.
Whilst in France he sent me postcards of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs written in French which he translated on the back.
This postcard reads:
French : Pour faire a Blanche Neige les Nains font leur toilette energiquement — sauf Grincheux, qui se montra recalcitrant.
English : To please Snow White, the Dwarves energetically wash themselves, all except Grumpy, who was being stubborn.
This story was submitted to the People’s War site by Becky Barugh of the BBC Radio Shropshire CSV Action Desk on behalf of Mrs Julia Frost who very kindly shared it with us. It has been added to the site with her permission and she fully understands the site's terms and conditions.
See more of Julia's stories and photographs:
- My early years were the war years
- The P&O Turbo-Electrical Ship “Victory of India”, 20,000 Tons
- The Pompeian Swimming Bath aboard the Victory of India
- The postcard we sent on our way out to Egypt
- On the beach in Egypt
- Cairo, 1939
- Old world Cairo, 1939
- En route from Egypt to England
- P&O S.S “Rajputana” 17,000 Tons
- The First Saloon Lounge aboard the Rajputana
- The First Class Dining Saloon aboard the Rajputana
- The First Saloon Music Room aboard the Rajputana
- The First Saloon Smoking Room aboard the Rajputana
- Julia Mary Wilkie, aged 5
- Mother and I aboard the Rajputana
- Richard and Muriel Wilkie
- Snow White Postcard 1
- Snow White Postcard 2
- Snow White Postcard 3
- Snow White Postcard 4
- Snow White Postcard 5
- Snow White Postcard 6
- Snow White Postcard 7
- Snow White Postcard 8
- Snow White Postcard 9
- Snow White Postcard 10
- Snow White Postcard 11
- Snow White Postcard 12
- Identity card
© Copyright of content contributed to this Archive rests with the author. Find out how you can use this.