BBC HomeExplore the BBC
This page has been archived and is no longer updated. Find out more about page archiving.

15 October 2014
WW2 - People's War

BBC Homepage
BBC History
WW2 People's War Homepage Archive List Timeline About This Site

Contact Us

Mistake In The Blackout!

by A7431347

You are browsing in:

Archive List > Childhood and Evacuation

Contributed by 
A7431347
People in story: 
Jim and Eve Rose
Location of story: 
Tenterden
Background to story: 
Civilian
Article ID: 
A6192344
Contributed on: 
18 October 2005

My Mum and Dad lived at Hilders Bungalow, Redding Street on the Appledore Road out of Tenterden.
Dad was in the Home Guard in Tenterden Church spires looking out for German Bombers.

One night during a black out, Dad had a back ache. Mum rubbed it with what she thought was 'Winter Green' but she couldn't see and infact it was 'Fires Balsalm'!

It cured his back but it made the bedclothes all stained and sticky!

This story was submitted to the People's War website by Helena Noifeld of BBC Radio Kent and has been added to the website on behalf of Eve and Jim Rose with their daughter D E Rose's permission. She fully understands the site's terms and conditions.

© Copyright of content contributed to this Archive rests with the author. Find out how you can use this.

Archive List

This story has been placed in the following categories.

Childhood and Evacuation Category
icon for Story with photoStory with photo

Most of the content on this site is created by our users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of any external sites referenced. In the event that you consider anything on this page to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please click here. For any other comments, please Contact Us.



About the BBC | Help | Terms of Use | Privacy & Cookies Policy