BBC HomeExplore the BBC
This page has been archived and is no longer updated. Find out more about page archiving.

15 October 2014
WW2 - People's War

BBC Homepage
BBC History
WW2 People's War Homepage Archive List Timeline About This Site

Contact Us

Shot Down - Hospital Life in Germanyicon for Recommended story

by bacotton

Contributed by 
People in story: 
Basil Cotton
Location of story: 
'Eindhoven', 'Krefeld', 'Dusseldorf Gerresheim', 'Dulag Luft at Hohemark','Stadtroda','Egendorf','Obermassfeld',
Background to story: 
Royal Air Force
Article ID: 
Contributed on: 
15 May 2005

I was flying a Whitley when I was shot down. On July 4th, at 2am, I made a parachute descent at Eindhoven, Holland. There were 5 of us on our plane : Dickie Davis (rear gunner), Ken Bowden (a good actor), Ron Lakin and myself who all survived (the other three weren’t injured) and Gibson who died. I subsequently met Ken Bowden at Heydekrug, he was in the bed next to Roy Dotrice.

I was found by a dog, shot in both legs, in an irrigation ditch. A German orderly helped cut me out of my flying suit, he was very gentle and kindly. He wouldn’t let me walk but got an ambulance, which was driven across the field to pick me up. I was put on to a stretcher and was taken to Krefeld to a hospital run by nuns.

My legs were in a mess, I was shot in the right thigh, my head was hit too, my left foot had been stuck. The nuns at the hospital treated people very badly. They used to put food by my bed but I wasn’t strong enough to eat it. When they came back and found the uneaten food they swore at me.

My left leg went gangrenous. They took me to a hospital (Res Laz) in Dusseldorf Gerresheim, which was run by the French and had about 1000 French patients, I was the only Brit. This was in 1941 on July 8th, when France was under German rule and French workers were taken into Germany to work. They were used to handling minor injuries, hernias etc. A doctor there called Galving came to look at me. I was on a stretcher and when he saw my left leg he recoiled. I stayed in this hospital for about 8 months.

I’d already learnt German and French at school — at Dusseldorf I got a big compliment from a Frenchman. He said ‘You speak very good English for a Frenchman’. I had done 7 years of French at school and was better at it than German. I learned the correct version but you pick up the patois from French men. Of course I picked up a lot, I was stuck in a hospital with only French people. My greatest friend was a Frenchman whom I met at Dusseldorf, he gave me some of his ration and a lighter. I saw him a couple of times after the war, once in Lille, another time in Leicester in 1957 when Muriel was expecting Fran.

We used to have very good concerts at Dusseldorf, Paul Boissier ran an excellent orchestra and he arranged a jazz gala on 26th September 1941; I was the only English man there.

I had two operations on my legs at Dusseldorf, both by Galving.

On March 2nd 1942 I was moved to Dulag Luft at Hohemark (which means ‘High Point’), near Oberursel, Frankfurt where RAF prisoners were taken for distribution to POW camps. This was up in the mountains, on the Rhine, a beautiful setting, lots of snow. Around this time I spent time in solitary confinement. They took my clothes away and interrogated me for information and turned the heat up. I was warned ‘ No one will know you are here’, but I told him I’d already been here for 12 months and had received parcels, which took the wind out of his sails. Another German, Lieutenant Erihart, came in to see me, he spoke perfect English and said he’d been to Queens College Oxford, but I wouldn’t tell him anything. I heard after the war he got four years for ill-treatment of POWs. This happened over two days, by then they knew I was no good to them.

I was next taken on April 2nd 1942 to Stadtroda hospital, where I was in bed next to an Army man, Taffie (he was Welsh) — he looked after me for weeks, used to sort out food for us both as I couldn’t do anything. The hospital was in a nice village.

The hospital was under German control but with British doctors, the patients were English plus some from Crete and New Zealand. They did two operations on my left leg, which straightened it and put it in plaster, after which I could walk, more or less. The surgeons there were Leslie Lauste and butcher Martin (I met Martin at Wimbledon years later, he was very tall). The senior sergeant made the patients clean the hospital.

On August 21st 1942 I was moved to the hospital at Egendorf, near Stadtroda, in the central part of Germany. The countryside reminds me now of Wiltshire, it was beautiful. The hospital was previously used as a college for the Hitler Youth; it was on a hill and like being in a holiday camp. It was more like a convalescent home than a hospital; they didn’t do any operations there. My left leg was affected by the move. I made sure that I got a bed near the kitchens, so I could watch the girls at work there and hear the radio playing every night. The summer of ’43 had beautiful weather and I had a girlfriend in the kitchen, Anna Maria Blankenfuland, she was very blond and had a sister Lottie — there were about 5 girls working there in all. We got Red Cross parcels and took them to the kitchen and they’d heat them up for us. The parcels had tinned meat, prunes, little things of cheese, dried egg, tins of fish. We received German rations too, but they weren’t anything special.

They didn’t mind people who were wounded going outside the hospital and I used to go to Blankenhein village.

There were Russians, Poles, Belgians and French in Egendorf, it was run by mainly English doctors plus a couple of French doctors. In winter they would ask for say 6 men to get the coal and I always volunteered because I could talk to them. Known there as Schwartze ie black because I had black hair. We used to travel by oxen cart and sled. The doctors there were doing a fiddle to get the coal. I was kitted out in striped Polish trousers and a blouson. We found out after the war that we were very near one of the concentration camps. I remember one day the sky was blue, but then a great black cloud came across. We thought it was just a rain cloud, or perhaps from a bombing but now I wonder if it was from that camp.

We had a good band at Egendorf, we used to put on shows for the English and French, I used to be the compere. I played a bit of table tennis there. I bought myself an accordion and with a Yugoslavian who played the trumpet and another chap on drums we set up a band called the Cosmopolitans.

I met George Friedlander, a German Jew, at Egendorf, he had joined the British Army and was a POW. I was friendly with Walter Kretchmer, the guard commander, German. He had lost an eye and finger and had been shot in the thigh, he was part of Rommel's army that had marched across France. He was a sensible man, not vicious in the slightest. His brother was a famous submarine commander, who ended up as a POW in Canada.

Whilst at Egendorf Cooper, the doctor there, sent me to Obermassfeld on May 22 1943 for a couple of weeks. Here the Geneva Commission, who checked injured POWs in case any were eligible to be repatriated, saw me. One chap who lost an arm was lucky, he was sent home. Tiger Fulton was another doctor at Egendorf, he was an international bridge player and later an umpire at Wimbledon. I am not sure how these English doctors ended up in the German hospitals, perhaps they were captured during Dunkirk?

Shortly after returning to Egendorf I was sent back to Stadtroda on June 13th 1943, where I stayed for about 5 weeks and started to learn chess, taught by a Russian, before being put on a train to Mohlsdorf on August 21st. I was there about a week and contracted jaundice, so was sent back to Obermassfeld hospital on August 30th where I spent 4 weeks in bed, not at all well. At Stadtroda the cooking was based on a liquid fat which may have caused the jaundice. When I was mobile again they sent me to Mühlhausen Army Camp on November 9th. This was not very nice but I wasn’t there for long, setting off for Heydekrug later that month.

© Copyright of content contributed to this Archive rests with the author. Find out how you can use this.

Forum Archive

This forum is now closed

These messages were added to this story by site members between June 2003 and January 2006. It is no longer possible to leave messages here. Find out more about the site contributors.

Message 1 - Shot Down - Hospital Life

Posted on: 05 July 2005 by Peter - WW2 Site Helper

Dear Sir

I found your story very inspiring.

For the benefit of others, the record shows that you were flying Whitley V - P5014 DY-J, piloted by Sergeant Donald Fraser Gibson, heading for Essen. You took off from RAF Topcliffe at 2306 on 3 July 1941, and were shot down by a night-fighter, piloted by Hauptmann [Flight Lieutenant/Captain] Werner Streib of 1/N Jagdgeschwader [Fighter Group]1, and crashed at 0117 at Arcen (Limburg), on the east bank of the Maas, 12 Km north of Venlo, Holland. Sergeant Gibson, aged 20, was killed and is buried in Jonkerbos War Cemetery.

As for the rest of the crew, all sergeants:

Sgt A. Larkin, PoW No. 39215;
Sgt W. K. H. Bowden, Pow No. 39199;
Sgt N. W. Davies, Pow No.39200 - were in camps 9C/L6/357.
Your PoW number is listed as 6422.

In "Footprints on the Sands of Time - RAF Bomber Command Prisoners of War in Germany 1939-45", by Oliver Clutton-Brock, at page 272, there is a question next to your entry which reads "In Alkmaar Marinelazarett?". Your story gives the complete answer to that, regarding your captivity, but what a story! I am grateful that Ron Goldstein, in recommending your story, pointed me to it.

Kindest regards,



Message 2 - Shot Down - Hospital Life

Posted on: 13 July 2005 by bacotton

Dear Peter

Thanks for your reply, and apologies for taking a couple of months to acknowledge. I will be seeing Basil (I am his daughter in law) shortly and he will be fascinated by your reply - and the technology that has made this contact possible.

I will come back to you with any comments he has,




Message 3 - Shot Down - Hospital Life

Posted on: 22 July 2005 by bacotton

Hello Peter

Basil was indeed fascinated to read your posting. He mentioned that, on the flight when the plane was shot down, he was pretty sure they had dropped their bombs and were returning to England, but had been caught in searchlights over Holland.

He had completed successful missions to Cologne (2), Essen, Bremen and Munchen Gladbach before being shot down.

Basil has never come across Sgt. A. Larkin subsequently, although he said he was not injured. He also mentioned that it was Sgt. Gibson's first flight where he was 'in charge', so a terrible tragedy for him/his parents.

Thanks for your interest, I have promised to look up the reference to Alkmaar Marinelazarett for Basil, as this was news to him!


Celia Cotton


Message 4 - Shot Down - Hospital Life

Posted on: 22 July 2005 by Peter - WW2 Site Helper

Hello Celia

The data in "Royal Air Force Bomber Command Losses of the Second World War", Volume 2 1941, is consistent with what Basil remembers, that they were on the return leg from Essen.

I said, above, "... the record shows that you were flying Whitley V - P5014 DY-J ... heading for Essen." I should really have said "... on a bombing raid on Essen".

Several squadrons took part in the raid, of the six aircraft that night, these other two of Squadron No.102 may be of interest to Basil:

Whitley V T4330 DY-C. Took off at 2308. Crashed 0440 while making an emergency landing on Mill Common at Bacton, 9 miles SE of Cromer, Norfolk. No injuries reported.
Sgt A. Davies
Sgt H. H. Burr
Sgt G.R. Davidson
Sgt E.M. Cooke

Whitley V Z6573 DY- . Took off 2314. Shot down by a night-fighter. All crew killed and are buried in Rheinberg War Cemetery.
S/L Oswald Robert Compton Moseley
Sgt Hilton William Fish, Royal Canadian A. F., age 21.
P/O Harold Harry Wells, age 20
Sgt Patrick Joseph William Ennis, age 21
Sgt Robert Murray Milligan.

Bomber Command War Diaries record that "In all 69 Wellingtons and 29 Whitleys to Essen, attacking the Krupps armaments works and railway targets. 2 Wellingtons and 2 Whitleys lost [this is incorrect, 3 Wellingtons and 3 Whitleys were lost]. Returning crews reported that bombing was difficult because of thick cloud. Essen reports only light damage with two people injured, but many bombs fell on the towns of Bochum, Dortmund, Duisberg, Hagen, and Wuppertal as well as on other places".

Best wishes,



Message 5 - Shot Down - Hospital Life

Posted on: 22 July 2005 by Peter - WW2 Site Helper

Correction: "of the six aircraft that night" should read "of the six aircraft lost that night"


Message 6 - Shot Down - Hospital Life

Posted on: 10 August 2005 by bacotton

Hello Peter

Thank you for the additional information. My in-laws are staying with us this weekend and I'll pass this on to Basil then. I'm sure he will be most appreciative and I will pass on any further thoughts this sparks.

Indicentally I tried looking up 'Alkmaar Marinelazarett' on the Internet and the references I found suggested 'Marinelazarett' is a Naval Hospital? From your experience does that sound right, or have I lost something in translation?

Kind regards



Message 7 - Shot Down - Hospital Life

Posted on: 11 August 2005 by Peter - WW2 Site Helper

Hi Celia

'Hospital' in German is 'Krankenhaus'. A more accurate translation of 'Marinelazarett' would be 'Naval Sick Bay', but it amounts to the same thing, 'lazarett' denoting a military rather than a civilian hospital.

Best wishes,


Archive List

This story has been placed in the following categories.

Royal Air Force Category
Prisoners of War Category
Germany Category
icon for Story with photoStory with photo

Most of the content on this site is created by our users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of any external sites referenced. In the event that you consider anything on this page to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please click here. For any other comments, please Contact Us.

About the BBC | Help | Terms of Use | Privacy & Cookies Policy