The Clyde Maritime Centre opened in 1999 and tells the story
of the River Clydes Maritime history and its people. It's
housed in the sandstone Pumphouse building, adjacent to Yorkhill
Quay, which held the hydraulic machinery for the nearby Queen's
Dock. The hydraulics operated the capstans, cranes and bridge.
The Pumphouse now contains a café bar, restaurant and exhibitions.
of the Clyde Maritime Centre is the sv Glenlee. She is permanently
moored at Yorkhill Quay and is currently undergoing full restoration
by the Clyde Maritime Trust. All her rigging and masts have been
restored and she has been painted to restore her original livery.
The 19th century barque, built in Port Glasgow, was launched in
1896. The sv Glenlee circumnavigated the world four times and
in 1922 she became a Spanish Navy training ship. She was sold
to the Clyde Maritime Trust in 1992 and brought back to the Clyde
where she had her name restored to the sv Glenlee. The sv Glenlee
is part of the National Core Collection of 43 Historic Ships.
She took part in Cutty Sark Tall Ships Festival where she was
the only Clyde-built ship in the fleet.
- Pacific Quay
The area known as Pacific Quay was previously Cessnock Dock
and then, after a Royal Opening, Prince's Dock. The Canting
Basin of the Princes Dock (the area of water where the ships
used to turn) is all that remains on the Pacific Quay site.
An area of regeneration, when completed it will include a Business
Park, a Media campus including BBC Scotland, the Glasgow Science
Centre, the Glasgow Tower, an iMax cinema, parks and recreation
The Glasgow Science Centre explores the effects of science and
technology on society and includes the Glasgow Tower.
The centre aims to increase the public's awareness of the importance
of science and technology in society by presenting information
in an accessible, fun way. The Science Mall, a crescent shaped
titanium building overlooking the former Prince's Dock canting
basin, houses four floors of exhibits. The ground floor features
a Science Show Theatre, and Electronic Library and a Computer
Lab. The other three floors feature themed exhibits on scientific
Exploration and Discovery, Creativity and Innovation and Issues
- The Glasgow
The Glasgow Tower is a new landmark for Glasgow. It stands 459-foot
high and is the tallest free-standing structure in Scotland and the
only 360-degree ground-revolving structure in the world. From the
viewing cabin you'll be able to see 20-mile views over the city
and surrounding areas. The base of the Tower contains exhibits on
the effect of science and technology on Glasgow's past and future
development, as well as information on the engineering involved
in the Tower.
- Anderston Quay
Anderston Quay is east of Pacific Quay on the north side of
the river and is the berth of the paddle steamer Waverley.
The Waverley is the last sea-going paddle steamer in the world
and has transported many Glaswegians 'doon the watter' to the
Firth of Clyde in her long history. She is well known for her
distinctive red, white and black funnels. In recent years, however,
the Waverley has also sailed on the River Thames, the Bristol
Channel and round the south coast of England. She was built to
work on the River Clyde and its wide estuary and launched in 1946
at the former Inglis yard on the Clyde. The future of the Waverley
was in doubt in the early 70s, but in 1974 she was bought
by enthusiasts from the Paddle Streamer Preservation Society for
£1.00 from owners CalMac. By 1975 she was back on the Clyde
again. She underwent a major rebuild in 2000 and can still be
seen in places like Gourock, Largs, Dunoon and the islands of Bute
and Arran during the summer months.