1986 O'Hara's Castle Portstewart

 Now St.Mary's Dominican College,Rock  
 Castle was originally built by Henry  
 O'Hara in 1834. It was three storeys  
 high and had a basement. There were 4 
 corner turrets two of which had       
 circular staircases. When Henry O'Hara
 died in 1844,the castle was extended. 
 The castle became the property of the 
 Cromie family,who lived at Cromore    
 House,before being bought from them by
 the Dominican Sisters in 1917.        
  They extended the castle in 1929 and 
 had a chapel added in 1935.           
  From 1963 to 1965 further extensions 
 were carried out to enlarge the       
 Convent school which is now a         
 college,catering for both boys and    
 girls from the age of 11 years to     
 18 years.                             
  Rock Castle is a prominent feature of
 the Portstewart coastline.            

Map of the area

What is Domesday?

In 1986 the BBC launched an ambitious project to record a snapshot of everyday life across the UK for future generations. A million volunteers took part…  read more here

In 2011 the BBC published the survey online and for six months invited updates to the photographs and text to celebrate the 25th anniversary.

Shortly afterwards the website was added to The National Archives’ UK Government Web Archive.

If you are reading this via UK Government Web Archive, then the original Domesday search function and contact form will not work. This is a consequence of the archiving process. See Using Domesday for more details.