1986 Grundisburgh Local History
A village before the Norman Conquest; mentioned in Domesday;Has resident Lord of Manor-Lord Cranworth.(2nd Bn) Res. Grundisburgh Hall. Village had charter for fair which functioned till 1800; Itinerant fair visited till 1914. C13 Church of St.Mary's of flint const- ruction but with fine brick tower built after collapse in C16;bells cast C1628- C1949. Many C16/C17 buildings some of "Double Decker" timberframe construct- ion with examples of Suffolk timber- work. School C1875 but "Dame" school before. Forge worked till 1968 - now preserved at Stowmarket,30 kms. Village Hall C1925. Red-brick built Chapel, C1798. Agnes Driver,(Ipswich Martyr), taken from her residence to be burnt Ipswich 5 kms, 1555. Visitation plague 1664-5. Sir Brian Dillon,Lord Justice- England,resident.Tourism of local int- erest; bellringers, Church visitors.
Pictures from this D-block
Written accounts from this D-block
- Introduction To Grundisburgh
- Grundisburgh Life And Style
- Grundisburgh Local History
- Grundisburgh Arts And Crafts
- Recreation In Grundisburgh
- Religion In Grundisburgh
- Grundisburghs Soc. Concerns
- Trade In Grundisburgh
- Transport In Grundisburgh
- Grundisburghs Soc. Concerns2011
Map of the area
© Crown copyright and database rights Ordnance Survey 100039117
Search the Domesday Site
What is Domesday?
In 1986 the BBC launched an ambitious project to record a snapshot of everyday life across the UK for future generations. A million volunteers took part… read more here
In 2011 the BBC published the survey online and for six months invited updates to the photographs and text to celebrate the 25th anniversary.
Shortly afterwards the website was added to The National Archives’ UK Government Web Archive.
If you are reading this via UK Government Web Archive, then the original Domesday search function and contact form will not work. This is a consequence of the archiving process. See Using Domesday for more details.