The tower of Christ's College with its
 green copper roof is perhaps          
 Finchley's best known landmark. The   
 date 1860 and "E.R.", the initials of 
 the architect, Edward Roberts, appear 
 high on the south-west face of the    
 building. A distinctive feature is the
 pattern of Tudor-style diaper         
 decoration in blue-black bricks.      
 The original school was founded in    
 1857 by the then rector of St.Mary's  
 church Rev.White, in Church House at  
 the end of the churchyard.This        
 building had previously been let as   
 the Queen's Head Pub.                 
 The school soon became very succesful 
 and popular that it was forced to move
 to its present site opposite the      

Map of the area

What is Domesday?

In 1986 the BBC launched an ambitious project to record a snapshot of everyday life across the UK for future generations. A million volunteers took part…  read more here

In 2011 the BBC published the survey online and for six months invited updates to the photographs and text to celebrate the 25th anniversary.

Shortly afterwards the website was added to The National Archives’ UK Government Web Archive.

If you are reading this via UK Government Web Archive, then the original Domesday search function and contact form will not work. This is a consequence of the archiving process. See Using Domesday for more details.