Papercourt Lock The lock gates were replaces in 1980. The lock keeper lives in Papercourt cottage. There were 5 houseboats each with a plot of land and a shed. The river has private fishing rites owned by a local farmer and the mooring fee has to be paid to the National Trust. People may moor on the side of the river which has a towpath. The original course of the river runs parallel to the man made course. To the left of the original river is marshland which is used for rough grazing. Newark Mill The mill which is now a ruin has milled for 300 years finishing in 1946. Newark Mill cottage is now a private dwelling. The owner farms 220 acres as meadow and keeps Beef cattle.
Map of the area
© Crown copyright and database rights Ordnance Survey 100039117
Search the Domesday Site
What is Domesday?
In 1986 the BBC launched an ambitious project to record a snapshot of everyday life across the UK for future generations. A million volunteers took part… read more here
In 2011 the BBC published the survey online and for six months invited updates to the photographs and text to celebrate the 25th anniversary.
Shortly afterwards the website was added to The National Archives’ UK Government Web Archive.
If you are reading this via UK Government Web Archive, then the original Domesday search function and contact form will not work. This is a consequence of the archiving process. See Using Domesday for more details.