St.Nicolas Church The church was built in 1140 out of a mixture of Sarsen stone and Pudding stone, though it seems likely that there was an earlier Saxon church made of wood. It is surrounded by a circular graveyard. Today the church is used occasionally for weddings and baptisms. Regular Sunday services at 11.30am are carried out and the church seats 130 people. The church was originally used by the people of Pyrford but the new village and an increase in population means that a new church has had to be built. Inside the church there is evidence of Norman Architecture: a fine Norman arch in front of the altar and Norman windows. The vicarage next to the church is now privately owned and the old schoolhouse is used for storing garden tools.
Map of the area
© Crown copyright and database rights Ordnance Survey 100039117
Search the Domesday Site
What is Domesday?
In 1986 the BBC launched an ambitious project to record a snapshot of everyday life across the UK for future generations. A million volunteers took part… read more here
In 2011 the BBC published the survey online and for six months invited updates to the photographs and text to celebrate the 25th anniversary.
Shortly afterwards the website was added to The National Archives’ UK Government Web Archive.
If you are reading this via UK Government Web Archive, then the original Domesday search function and contact form will not work. This is a consequence of the archiving process. See Using Domesday for more details.