1986 WOBURN ABBEY :1
Woburn Abbey is the family home of the Russells. The abbey part of the name derives from the Cistercian Abbey founded in the 12th century. Like so many other monastic buildings, it and its land was taken into the ownership of the Crown at the Dissolution. In 1547, it was given to the 1st Earl of Bedford by King Edward VI and has remained in the family ever since. The building was completely remodelled in 1747 and again altered and extended in 1802. It suffered, as did so many other similar buildings during the early years of the present century from increasing running costs and a large section has been demolished.
Map of the area
© Crown copyright and database rights Ordnance Survey 100039117
Search the Domesday Site
What is Domesday?
In 1986 the BBC launched an ambitious project to record a snapshot of everyday life across the UK for future generations. A million volunteers took part… read more here
In 2011 the BBC published the survey online and for six months invited updates to the photographs and text to celebrate the 25th anniversary.
Shortly afterwards the website was added to The National Archives’ UK Government Web Archive.
If you are reading this via UK Government Web Archive, then the original Domesday search function and contact form will not work. This is a consequence of the archiving process. See Using Domesday for more details.