1986 BERKHAMSTED,PAST AND PRESENT

                                       
The High Street contains the Court     
House,16th. century, and also Incent's 
house, the residence of John Incent,   
Dean of St. Paul's,who funded          
Berkhamsted Grammar School, (now the   
Boy's School). The Sayer Almshouses    
were built in 1684. There are also a   
number of old inns, the oldest being   
The Crown, built in the 17th. century. 
The railway, running from Euston has   
had an important influence on the      
growth of population since it was first
laid in 1837.                          
The canal also runs through the town,  
on its way to Birmingham. It was built 
by the 3rd. Duke of Bridgewater in     
1798. It has brought a lot of trade to 
the town. It was originally known as   
the Grand Junction Canal and is now    
known as the Grand Union Canal.        
                                       
 

Map of the area

What is Domesday?

In 1986 the BBC launched an ambitious project to record a snapshot of everyday life across the UK for future generations. A million volunteers took part…  read more here

In 2011 the BBC published the survey online and for six months invited updates to the photographs and text to celebrate the 25th anniversary.

Shortly afterwards the website was added to The National Archives’ UK Government Web Archive.

If you are reading this via UK Government Web Archive, then the original Domesday search function and contact form will not work. This is a consequence of the archiving process. See Using Domesday for more details.