1986 CREMATION AT ST JOHNS

 Woking Crematorium was 100 years old  
 in March this year. At first there    
 were only about 3 cremations a year   
 but now there are 2000. The chapel,   
 which was built in 1888 costing £3000,
 has a fine catafalque, where the      
 coffin rests before it is burnt. It is
 made of marble and brass. There is    
 also a stained glass window depicting 
 St Francis of Assisi. In a small room 
 next to the chapel are the ashes of   
 many people in urns. They are kept in 
 holes in the wall called nitches. In  
 the Chapel of Remembrance, which lies 
 in a quiet corner of the garden, are  
 holders for flowers and a Book of     
 Remembrance in which names are written
 The pages are turned to the           
 corresponding date. The gardens are   
 beautiful with plaques bearing names  
 of the dead placed before a plant     
 or tree. There is abundant wildlife.  
 

Map of the area

What is Domesday?

In 1986 the BBC launched an ambitious project to record a snapshot of everyday life across the UK for future generations. A million volunteers took part…  read more here

In 2011 the BBC published the survey online and for six months invited updates to the photographs and text to celebrate the 25th anniversary.

Shortly afterwards the website was added to The National Archives’ UK Government Web Archive.

If you are reading this via UK Government Web Archive, then the original Domesday search function and contact form will not work. This is a consequence of the archiving process. See Using Domesday for more details.