1986 NARROW GAUGE RAILWAY:History

 The Leighton Buzzard Light Railway    
 used to start at Double Arches        
 quarries near Heath & Reach and ended 
 at Pratt's Pitt 4 miles away to the   
 south in Leighton.                    
                                       
 The formal opening took place on      
 November 20th 1919. In the late 1940's
 there were up to 500 wagons daily     
 making up some 20 trains.             
                                       
 Between the two wars some Belgian and 
 Japanese wagons were used. The railway
 company owned no rolling stock of     
 its own. The traffic was carried in   
 wagons owned by the individual        
 quarry companies.                     
                                       
 The commonest wagon used was the side 
 tipper. It had the capacity of 1 cubic
 yard (25 cwt of sand).                
                           (more)      
 

Map of the area

What is Domesday?

In 1986 the BBC launched an ambitious project to record a snapshot of everyday life across the UK for future generations. A million volunteers took part…  read more here

In 2011 the BBC published the survey online and for six months invited updates to the photographs and text to celebrate the 25th anniversary.

Shortly afterwards the website was added to The National Archives’ UK Government Web Archive.

If you are reading this via UK Government Web Archive, then the original Domesday search function and contact form will not work. This is a consequence of the archiving process. See Using Domesday for more details.