1986 Birdham, The Old School

 The old school building is situated on
 the corner of Birdham Straight, A286, 
 and Crooked Lane. It was built in     
 1817. The original list of subscribers
 is still displayed in the present     
 school. The school was originally     
 called "The Manhood National School"  
 and served W.Itchenor,E. & W.         
 Wittering, Earnley, Sidlesham, and    
 Birdham. The school was added to in   
 1874 and again in 1875 when the       
 Infants were given their own building.
  The school was for 5 to 14 year olds 
 and had about 120 pupils. The School  
 moved to its present site in 1964.    
 Until 1984 the old building was used  
 as a small assembly business and is   
 currently being converted into        
 residential units. The playground has 
 5 new houses in a close named Old     
 School Close.                         

Map of the area

What is Domesday?

In 1986 the BBC launched an ambitious project to record a snapshot of everyday life across the UK for future generations. A million volunteers took part…  read more here

In 2011 the BBC published the survey online and for six months invited updates to the photographs and text to celebrate the 25th anniversary.

Shortly afterwards the website was added to The National Archives’ UK Government Web Archive.

If you are reading this via UK Government Web Archive, then the original Domesday search function and contact form will not work. This is a consequence of the archiving process. See Using Domesday for more details.