1986 EARNLEY MILL

   Earnley Mill is an octagonal,black  
 tarred,weather boarded smock mill.    
 They were called smock mills because  
 they looked like a farmer in a smock. 
 It's present owners,Mr.and Mrs.Darby, 
 have traced its history back to 1813. 
   In 1827 it was made higher by giving
 it a brick base and further           
 strengthened in 1913 and 1933.When    
 working it had four sails and a six   
 bladed fantail.It was the last working
 mill in Sussex,stopping work in 1946. 
 The mill worked only two pairs of     
 stones,but in 1870 a third pair was   
 added.The Stevens family owned the    
 mill for many years.They ground the   
 local corn and there was a bakery next
 to the mill.The mill was sold in 1946 
 and was used as tea rooms until the   
 present owners bought it in 1958.Today
 used as a home,the mill has no sails. 
                                       
 

Map of the area

What is Domesday?

In 1986 the BBC launched an ambitious project to record a snapshot of everyday life across the UK for future generations. A million volunteers took part…  read more here

In 2011 the BBC published the survey online and for six months invited updates to the photographs and text to celebrate the 25th anniversary.

Shortly afterwards the website was added to The National Archives’ UK Government Web Archive.

If you are reading this via UK Government Web Archive, then the original Domesday search function and contact form will not work. This is a consequence of the archiving process. See Using Domesday for more details.