1986 CHANGES IN SOUTH CROXTON (2)

  The local school in South Croxton    
 closed around about 1965. When Mr     
 Elliot had first moved to the village 
 there were 20 children in the school  
 from the age of 5 to 14.              
  Another major change in the village  
 is the role of the public house, the  
 Golden Fleece. This used to be        
 strictly used by local residents only 
 but now people travel by car from far 
 and wide to visit the country pub. The
 pub used to serve mild beer from      
 wooden barrels, but now it serves     
 mainly bitter.                        
  Two changes in the village which Mr  
 Elliot wholeheartedly is in favour of 
 are the introduction of electricity in
 1934, and piped water in 1960.        
                                       
                                       
                                       
                                       
 

Map of the area

What is Domesday?

In 1986 the BBC launched an ambitious project to record a snapshot of everyday life across the UK for future generations. A million volunteers took part…  read more here

In 2011 the BBC published the survey online and for six months invited updates to the photographs and text to celebrate the 25th anniversary.

Shortly afterwards the website was added to The National Archives’ UK Government Web Archive.

If you are reading this via UK Government Web Archive, then the original Domesday search function and contact form will not work. This is a consequence of the archiving process. See Using Domesday for more details.