1986 Austerfield Church

  Outside St.Helen's church are black, 
 iron railings.Some graves in the      
 church yard are under a huge weeping  
 beech which screens the church from   
 the road.The path is edged with       
 granite and marble memorials.         
   A Norman arch with zig-zag patterns 
 leads into the church where three more
 plain Norman arches can be seen.The   
 ceiling is wooden as is the           
 Elizabethan altar rail.The vestry is  
 on the left of the altar.             
  On the wall of the northern aisle    
 (once bricked up) is a brass plate to 
 commerate the Pilgrim Fathers,        
 especially William Bradford who was   
 christened here.The stone font, which 
 is lined with lead and is of Norman   
 origin,was found in a neighbouring    
 farmyard and rescued.A leather-bound  
 visitors book dating from 1896 can be 
 seen as one leaves the church.        
 

Map of the area

What is Domesday?

In 1986 the BBC launched an ambitious project to record a snapshot of everyday life across the UK for future generations. A million volunteers took part…  read more here

In 2011 the BBC published the survey online and for six months invited updates to the photographs and text to celebrate the 25th anniversary.

Shortly afterwards the website was added to The National Archives’ UK Government Web Archive.

If you are reading this via UK Government Web Archive, then the original Domesday search function and contact form will not work. This is a consequence of the archiving process. See Using Domesday for more details.