The Sir John Moore School was built in
 1697 as a free school that also took  
 boarders.There were three masters, a  
 Latin master, an English master and a 
 Drawing master.                       
  Sir John, a younger son of the local 
 landowner, went to work for the East  
 India Company and lived in Mincing    
 Lane London.He became Lord Mayor of   
 London in 1681 and was knighted for   
 his loyalty to King CharlesII.        
  The school cost £2393 and the initial
 design was by Sir Christopher Wren but
 subsequently changed by the builder   
 Sir William Wilson.                   
  The school room is a large hall 100ft
 long,50ft.wide and 30 ft.high.On the  
 east wall, in an arch, is a statue of 
 the founder in his mayoral robes.     
  Sir John died in London in 1702 never
 having seen his school,he also endowed
 Christ's Hospital in London.          

Map of the area

What is Domesday?

In 1986 the BBC launched an ambitious project to record a snapshot of everyday life across the UK for future generations. A million volunteers took part…  read more here

In 2011 the BBC published the survey online and for six months invited updates to the photographs and text to celebrate the 25th anniversary.

Shortly afterwards the website was added to The National Archives’ UK Government Web Archive.

If you are reading this via UK Government Web Archive, then the original Domesday search function and contact form will not work. This is a consequence of the archiving process. See Using Domesday for more details.