The canal was opened in 1777 and     
 connects the rivers Trent and Mersey. 
 The canal was built by James Brindley,
 the father of British canals. The     
 canal is used for pleasure boating,   
 there is no commercial traffic except 
 for floating hotels. Local angling    
 clubs rent sections of the canal      
 and hold competitions in the season.  
 Water is extracted by the colliery. In
 June, 1985 the T & M Canal Society    
 held a boat rally next to the field   
 behind St. Augustines church. The     
 rally was attended by 200 people on   
 boats. There were many sideshows on   
 the field beside the canal. Rugeley   
 had been accused of turning its back  
 on the canal so access to the towpath 
 was improved for the rally. In 1985   
 the state of the towpath and banks was
 poor, British Waterways expect to make
 repairs in the next few years.        

Map of the area

What is Domesday?

In 1986 the BBC launched an ambitious project to record a snapshot of everyday life across the UK for future generations. A million volunteers took part…  read more here

In 2011 the BBC published the survey online and for six months invited updates to the photographs and text to celebrate the 25th anniversary.

Shortly afterwards the website was added to The National Archives’ UK Government Web Archive.

If you are reading this via UK Government Web Archive, then the original Domesday search function and contact form will not work. This is a consequence of the archiving process. See Using Domesday for more details.