1986 RUSHALL HALL

 The first Hall at Rushall was built in
 the twelth century. The walls were    
 built in 1429 and resemble castle     
 battlements. The gatehouse has been   
 restored by the present owners. The   
 winding stone steps in the tower are  
 steep and slippery. During the civil  
 war cannon balls were fired at the    
 Hall, and they are now on the         
 mantlepiece in the Hall. There is a   
 priest's hiding place behind the      
 panelling in one of the rooms. In the 
 garden there is a Saxon burial mound  
 which contains bones and coins. The   
 families of Leigh, Harpur, Mellish and
 Buchanan lived in the Hall and local  
 roads are named after them.           
                                       
                                       
                                       
                                       
                                       
 

Map of the area

What is Domesday?

In 1986 the BBC launched an ambitious project to record a snapshot of everyday life across the UK for future generations. A million volunteers took part…  read more here

In 2011 the BBC published the survey online and for six months invited updates to the photographs and text to celebrate the 25th anniversary.

Shortly afterwards the website was added to The National Archives’ UK Government Web Archive.

If you are reading this via UK Government Web Archive, then the original Domesday search function and contact form will not work. This is a consequence of the archiving process. See Using Domesday for more details.