1986 PITFOUR ESTATE

    Although the Estate was split up   
 and sold in 1924 closely followed by  
 the house being demolished in 1926,   
 some of the more important buildings  
 can still be seen; namely:_the riding 
 school and the riding stalles, the    
 laundry, the gas house, the larder or 
 place for keeping game, the           
 observatory and chapel.  There is even
 a race course in the north_western    
 area of the block.  Some of the       
 buildings are used by the farmer who  
 manages the land now whilst others are
 in a very bad state.  There has been  
 speculation that the estate may be    
 developed and the buildings renovated 
 and let as luxury lodges and flats.   
 For the time being they remain        
 unrepaired and serve only to remind us
 of the former splendour of the        
 Ferguson Estate.                      
                                       
 

Map of the area

What is Domesday?

In 1986 the BBC launched an ambitious project to record a snapshot of everyday life across the UK for future generations. A million volunteers took part…  read more here

In 2011 the BBC published the survey online and for six months invited updates to the photographs and text to celebrate the 25th anniversary.

Shortly afterwards the website was added to The National Archives’ UK Government Web Archive.

If you are reading this via UK Government Web Archive, then the original Domesday search function and contact form will not work. This is a consequence of the archiving process. See Using Domesday for more details.