1986 THE STROUDWATER CANAL.

      The Stroudwater Canal ran just   
 south of the A419.It joined the River 
 Severn to Stroud.The canal was        
 completed in 1779 and was built to    
 bring coal to Stroud from Shropshire, 
 Staffordshire and the Forest of Dean  
 for use in the woollen industry.It was
 about 9 miles long.The last barge came
 to the gas works,just to the east of  
 our area,in 1941.After that it became 
 silted up because of lack of use.In   
 1954 parts of the Canal were sold and 
 filled in by the local Council.       
      We interviewed Mr.R.Nott,        
 secretary to the Stroudwater          
 Navigation Company,which still owns   
 most of the canal.He is also involved 
 with the Canal Trust which was formed 
 in 1972 and is restoring the canal    
 with the permission of the Canal      
 Company.                              
                                       
 

Map of the area

What is Domesday?

In 1986 the BBC launched an ambitious project to record a snapshot of everyday life across the UK for future generations. A million volunteers took part…  read more here

In 2011 the BBC published the survey online and for six months invited updates to the photographs and text to celebrate the 25th anniversary.

Shortly afterwards the website was added to The National Archives’ UK Government Web Archive.

If you are reading this via UK Government Web Archive, then the original Domesday search function and contact form will not work. This is a consequence of the archiving process. See Using Domesday for more details.