There has been a church on the site   
 since before 1200. The oldest grave in
 the churchyard is 1000 years old.     
 The present Kirk was built in 1807    
 but, in 1968 it had to be completely  
 renovated except for the lower church 
 which is 141 years old and is 100 feet
 high. It was built by the monks from  
 Dunfermline Abbey.                    
 In the church there are 14 stained    
 glass windows altogether.             
 In the tower there is one bell which  
 has ben renewed three times - the last
 time was in 1707. There was once a    
 church school in the church where     
 Robert Adam, the architect and his    
 brother were taught by Thomas Carlyle.
 Many important people have been       
 christened in the Kirk, including Sir 
 Michael Nairn, who invented linoleum  
 and Sir Sandford Fleming, the famous  

Map of the area

What is Domesday?

In 1986 the BBC launched an ambitious project to record a snapshot of everyday life across the UK for future generations. A million volunteers took part…  read more here

In 2011 the BBC published the survey online and for six months invited updates to the photographs and text to celebrate the 25th anniversary.

Shortly afterwards the website was added to The National Archives’ UK Government Web Archive.

If you are reading this via UK Government Web Archive, then the original Domesday search function and contact form will not work. This is a consequence of the archiving process. See Using Domesday for more details.