1986 BODNANT GARDENS
Bodnant Gardens, situated above the River Conwyon the east side of the valley, enjoy magnificent viewsof Snowdonia. Access is from a minor road leading to the village of Eglwysbach off the A470. The gardens are world renowned and cover some 80 acres. they were presented to the National Trust by Henry Duncan, second Baron Aberconwy, in 1949. The gardens are supervised for the trust by Lord Aberconwyand the head gardener Mr Martin Puddle. The soil is composed of a stiff boulder clay overlying a friable shale bedrock. The mild climate enables a variety of species to grow and the garden is noted for its collection of trees. Opening hours are from 10am until 5 pm daily from March to October.
Pictures from this D-block
Map of the area
© Crown copyright and database rights Ordnance Survey 100039117
Search the Domesday Site
What is Domesday?
In 1986 the BBC launched an ambitious project to record a snapshot of everyday life across the UK for future generations. A million volunteers took part… read more here
In 2011 the BBC published the survey online and for six months invited updates to the photographs and text to celebrate the 25th anniversary.
Shortly afterwards the website was added to The National Archives’ UK Government Web Archive.
If you are reading this via UK Government Web Archive, then the original Domesday search function and contact form will not work. This is a consequence of the archiving process. See Using Domesday for more details.