1986 Local History Park Howard

 December 1911 Llanelli U.D.C showed   
 interest in purchasing Bryncaerau     
 grounds and castle,to turn it into a  
 public park. 4.January  1912 ,Sir     
 Stafford and Lady Howard purchased the
 castle and its grounds,for £7,750 and 
 leased it to the Council for 999 years
 at an annual rent of £5. 21 September,
 1912 Park Howard was opened to the    
 public by Lady Howard.During the First
 World War,the mansion was used as a   
 hospital for wounded soldiers. 1932   
 the children's amusement park was     
 opened. 21 September 1937 The opening 
 of the rose garden by Lady Howard     
 Stepney. 29 September 1965 Park Howard
 and 32 acres of land were purchased by
 the Borough Council from the Stepney  
 Estate for £350,000  1977 The Queen   
 visited the park during the Silver    
 Jubilee celebrations.                 
                                       
 

Map of the area

What is Domesday?

In 1986 the BBC launched an ambitious project to record a snapshot of everyday life across the UK for future generations. A million volunteers took part…  read more here

In 2011 the BBC published the survey online and for six months invited updates to the photographs and text to celebrate the 25th anniversary.

Shortly afterwards the website was added to The National Archives’ UK Government Web Archive.

If you are reading this via UK Government Web Archive, then the original Domesday search function and contact form will not work. This is a consequence of the archiving process. See Using Domesday for more details.