1986 Court Farm

  Court Farm (CWRT in Welsh) is an     
 historic manor house, which stands on 
 a hill about half a mile North-West of
 St. Illtyd's Church. It is the only   
 Elizabethan House remaining in        
 Carmarthenshire and was used on a 1757
 chart to guide vessels along  the     
 Burry estuary. They took the tall     
 chimneys of the house and the church  
 tower as markers. Court Leets were    
 also held there.                      
  The house dates from the late        
 fifteenth or early sixteenth century. 
 In 1948 it was abandoned. Now it is a 
 ruin-the grey stone building with its 
 'battlemented' wall looks down on the 
 village.                              
  A group of local historians are      
 trying to raise funds to restore the  
 Court to its former glory.            
                                       
                                       
 

Map of the area

What is Domesday?

In 1986 the BBC launched an ambitious project to record a snapshot of everyday life across the UK for future generations. A million volunteers took part…  read more here

In 2011 the BBC published the survey online and for six months invited updates to the photographs and text to celebrate the 25th anniversary.

Shortly afterwards the website was added to The National Archives’ UK Government Web Archive.

If you are reading this via UK Government Web Archive, then the original Domesday search function and contact form will not work. This is a consequence of the archiving process. See Using Domesday for more details.