1986 IRVINE * DREGHORN CHURCH

 The Parish Church is very unusual     
 being built with eight sides.Dreghorn 
 Parish church was built in 1780.The   
 idea for an eight sided church        
 was brought back from the continent by
 the Earl of Eglinton, who is buried   
 in the church graveyard with his      
 family. The stained glass windows are 
 the originals,(except one which was   
 replaced in 1982), as are the bells.  
                                       
               There have been three   
 churches on the same spot during a    
 period of eight_hundred years.The     
 church before was called the Columban 
 Church.The session house was once a   
 mortuary where they prepared the dead 
 bodies for burial,and was the mortuary
 for the church before.The oldest grave
 stone dates back to the fifteenth     
 century.                              
                                       
 

Map of the area

What is Domesday?

In 1986 the BBC launched an ambitious project to record a snapshot of everyday life across the UK for future generations. A million volunteers took part…  read more here

In 2011 the BBC published the survey online and for six months invited updates to the photographs and text to celebrate the 25th anniversary.

Shortly afterwards the website was added to The National Archives’ UK Government Web Archive.

If you are reading this via UK Government Web Archive, then the original Domesday search function and contact form will not work. This is a consequence of the archiving process. See Using Domesday for more details.