1986 St.Davids Cathedral

 The Cathedral stands in the valley    
 where St.David, patron saint of       
 Wales,built his monastery in the sixth
 century.The present building was begun
 by the Norman bishop Peter de Leia in 
 1182.It is the parish church of       
 St.Davids and has an active           
 congregation.The Bishop of the diosese
 lives in Carmarthen,direct control of 
 the cathedral being under the Dean,Dr 
 Gordon Macwilliam.Two Minor           
 Canons,Brendan O'Malley and Rhidian   
 Jones,help the Dean with his          
 work.Other staff are the verger,Mr    
 Morris and the groundsman,Mr          
 Pierce.The organist is Mr Malcolm     
 Watts and assistant organist is Mr    
 Arwel Davies.The Choir and the        
 bellringers are also an indispensible 
 part of the cathedral scene.          
                                       
                                       
 

Map of the area

What is Domesday?

In 1986 the BBC launched an ambitious project to record a snapshot of everyday life across the UK for future generations. A million volunteers took part…  read more here

In 2011 the BBC published the survey online and for six months invited updates to the photographs and text to celebrate the 25th anniversary.

Shortly afterwards the website was added to The National Archives’ UK Government Web Archive.

If you are reading this via UK Government Web Archive, then the original Domesday search function and contact form will not work. This is a consequence of the archiving process. See Using Domesday for more details.