Picture of the day
Children using BBC Microcomputer to work on Domesday Project. Computers now introduced into all schools. (JULY 1985; Mr A. J. Coia)
Search the Domesday Site
Did you mean?
What is Domesday?
In 1986 the BBC launched an ambitious project to record a snapshot of everyday life across the UK for future generations. A million volunteers took part… read more here
In 2011 the BBC published the survey online and for six months invited updates to the photographs and text to celebrate the 25th anniversary.
Shortly afterwards the website was added to The National Archives’ UK Government Web Archive.
If you are reading this via UK Government Web Archive, then the original Domesday search function and contact form will not work. This is a consequence of the archiving process. See Using Domesday for more details.
Then and Now Gallery
- Hucknall Colliery sidings What Colliery?
- 1986 - Charlie the Hurdle Maker 2011 - Don, Charlie's Apprentice
- 1986 - Market stall, pre-mall 2011 - No stall, post-mall
- Birdham Chichester Canal - 1986 Birdham Chichester Canal - 2011
- Graffitti - 1986 Graffitti no more - 2011
- Cannock Stadium - 1986 Now Closed - 2011