Courtesy of Worcester Records Office
The Star Hotel
The hotel has a military and a cricketing connection, and was once the home to Worcester Boxing Club.
The importance of Worcester as a local commercial centre is shown by the fact that there were two big hotels within a stones throw of each other in Foregate Street.
The Star Hotel (now The Whitehouse Hotel) was a coaching inn, a fact witnessed by the large archway running from front to back, and it took its name from the cap badge of the Worcestershire Regiment.
Worcestershire County Cricket Club was formed at the Hotel on 4 March 1865, with Lord Lyttleton elected as president, and no less than five vicars on the committee.
The Berrows Journal for 11 March 1865 reported that 80 gentlemen "intimated their intention of becoming members of the club."
Interestingly the story of the founding of the cricket club is buried away beneath news that the racing at Coventry had been cancelled, and a report that a certain Captain F Warriner has caught 23 salmon weighing 397½lbs.
The Star Hotel's other sporting connecting is with Worcester Boxing Club, which was based in a building at the back of the hotel for 16 years.
last updated: 26/02/2009 at 15:12
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Find out about the Malverns, hills, history and H20