1. The road to better learning
Welcome to the 'Study and Exam Skills' part of 'Go The Distance'! On these pages you'll find a series of short, fun animations, full of advice, tips and tricks to help you become a better learner in all the key areas of your study life. In these videos, you’ll get practical tips on note taking, thinking critically, writing assignments, managing your time and lots more!
We all know how to learn, don’t we? After all, we’ve been learning for a long time. But stop a moment. Very often we focus on WHAT we’re learning, not HOW. Knowing how to learn is important. You can reduce your workload and get better results. Interested? Of course! Watch the video to find out more.
2. Which study methods work for you?
What’s the shortcut to successful study? Here’s the bad news: there’s no single path. The good news? You can find the way that’s right for you.
Watch the video. See if you can pick up seven main ways in which you can improve your study skills (write them down if you like). Then scroll down to check your answers.
- Turn on subtitles by clicking on the 'S' button in the video player.
- Click on the 'expand' icon to view the video in full screen.
3. 7 top tips for successful studying
You've nearly reached the end of this unit. At the bottom of this page you can find links to more useful study skills materials.
But before we finish, let's take another look at what we've learned about learning better. Check to see if you identified all seven tips!
- Don't just focus on what you're learning – think about how you learn
- Reflect and think about how you learn best
- Review your past learning experiences – good and bad!
- Keep a learning journal
- Make a study plan
- Explore different study tools and choose the ones that work for you
- Watch the rest of our Study skills videos!
Visit our partner The Open University for more study tips – just click on the 'Where next?' link. Click the Downloads button to get free pdf video transcripts for Go The Distance.