Section 5: Harm and Offence
Acquired programmes must comply with our Editorial Guidelines on Harm and Offence. We should check them prior to broadcast to ensure the content is suitable for the likely audience. A film classification is only a guide and special care should be taken with films rated as "18" certificate, which should not play before 9pm on any service.
We should not normally broadcast a film or programme refused certification by the British Board of Film Classification (BBFC). For further details refer to Section 1 of the Ofcom Broadcasting Code.
We should not normally broadcast illustrative clips from a film or programme refused certification by the BBFC without clear editorial justification.
- Audience Expectations
- Content Information
- The Watershed and Scheduling for TV, Radio and Online
- Live Output
- Intimidation and Humiliation
- Alcohol, Smoking, Solvent Abuse and Illegal Drugs
- Suicide, Attempted Suicide, Self-Harm and Eating Disorders
- Imitative Behaviour
- Tragic Events
- Hypnotism, Exorcism, the Occult and the Paranormal
- Flashing Images, Strobing and Images of Very Brief Duration
- Acquired Programmes