Like this page?
Send it to a friend!
The Priaulx Library in Candie House
The Priaulx Library of Local Studies is the largest and most useful access point for anyone wanting to study the past or present of the islands.
The Priaulx Library was the gift of a Guernseyman to the people of Guernsey and its resources are at the disposal of all who care to use them.
Candie House, home to the Priaulx Library, was built more than two hundred years ago and commands a splendid view over the harbour, across the Little Russell to the islands of Sark, Herm and Jethou.
The house and its extensive gardens formed the Candie Estate and were once hidden by high walls.
The Estate now houses the Priaulx Library, the Candie Museum and the gardens, including the well-known and often photographed statue of Victor Hugo.
What is in the collection?
It started with books from the private collection of Osmond de Beauvoir Priaulx, but has since expanded to include material that concerns all aspects of life in the Channel Islands.
Just some of the books in the library
Purchases of books include publications dealing with island matters and related backup material.
The works of locally-based authors, whether living or dead, are also collected.
There are other materials available including collections of photographs, prints, postcards and drawings depicting local scenes and personalities.
For those interested in family history research, their information files charting the history of some Guernsey families.
Microfilm copies of census returns (1841-1881), records of births and deaths and parish registers are all available as well as copies of local newspapers.
The library is open from 0930 until 1700, Monday to Saturday (except public holidays).
last updated: 02/03/2009 at 09:37
[an error occurred while processing this directive]