Alderney or Quesnard Lighthouse
The Alderney Lighthouse has protected shipping from the hazardous waters between France and Alderney since it was built in 1912.
Also known as Quesnard Lighthouse after the headland it sits on along the east coast the 32 metre high structure is one of Alderney's most prominent landmarks.
Painted white with a central black band to make it more visible to shipping during the hours of daylight its beam, which flashes every 15 seconds, carries across 23 sea miles.
The view from the top of the lighthouse
The former keepers' housing is connected to the tower and both are surrounded by a white wall.
The Alderney Lighthouse was automated in 1997 and is now monitored and controlled from the Trinity House Operational Control Centre at Harwich in Essex.
Since 1998 the lighthouse has been opened to the public through tours every weekend.
Although they are not for those with a fear of heights as there are 120 steps to the top.
Kay Langlois asked tour leaders Ann and John Beaman how they got involved...
last updated: 08/08/2008 at 09:20