The Hospital in use
The maze of tunnels took three and a half years to build. It was only in use for a total of nine months.
The second section was in use as an ammunition store for nine months.
Although similar in design this is larger then the first section which is the hospital.
Every room was packed with ammunition and covered by tarpaulins to keep it dry.
The compound included an electrical generating plant which powered the central heating plant and air-conditioning.
Pipes run throughout for air flow and most rooms had an air filter.
The hospital was equipped with an operating theatre, kitchen, cinema, staff quarters and wards.
It was only used for three months when all the wards were occupied by German Soldiers wounded in the D-Day Normandy landings, June 1944.
They were brought to the islands mainly by ships from Cherbourg.
After a few weeks underground they were not really healing well and most were as white as a sheet having seen no sunlight in all that time.
Since the Liberation troops were making no signs of activity in the Channel Islands the casualties were transferred to above ground accomodation.
The staff took most of the hospital equipment with them.
The rest was removed by the British forces in 1945.
So not the most efficient hospital but an incredible feat of engineering.
last updated: 03/04/2008 at 14:55