Like this page?
Send it to a friend!
Underground Hospital Entrance
The Underground Hospital today
The tunnels were first opened to the public on 29th July 1954 and remain so today.
The Hospital is laid out from the two main corridors which run parallel to each other.
Connected to both are the wards, operating theatre, Xray room, laboratory, dispensary, staff quarters.
Off one corridor are store rooms, cinema and mortuary.
At the end of a corridor are the machinary of the central heating and the heat and smell of the kitchens.
The kitchen are near a ventilation shaft to allow the smell to escape the compound.
One corridor and entrance were not concreted and that entrance has fallen in since 1950.
The Hospital and Ammunition Store are almost empty but there are signs of their previous uses.
Much of the central heating plant remains, along with hospital beds and most of the kitchen.
The air-con pipes run through most of the rooms and some of the air filters are still there.
Along the walls you can see the air-con fans and the electricity junction boxes.
The signs are still there and here is a quick change
Rauchen Verboten - Smoking Prohibited
Signs in the Hospital.
The tunnels have been owned by Joyce Browning since they first opened.
She has been there every day except when having to attend an important event like a wedding.
Joyce said the visitors make it worthwhile as many stop to chat about their own stories and swap memories.
The tunnels are open from 10am-midday and 2pm until 4pm.
They are in the La Vassalerie, St Andrews, Guernsey.
last updated: 03/04/2008 at 14:55