Morels are wild mushrooms found all over the British Isles. With a creamy white stem and conical cap they grow in dry, sandy areas so it is important to wash them well to get rid of any grit. This distinctive mushroom has a pitted honeycomb-like fruit body and is hollow inside. It can only be found in the wild and is highly prized.
Morels can be bought dried and in cans, as well as fresh.
Raw morels are mildly toxic so must be cooked before eating - they can be stewed, added to omelettes or eggs en cocotte, or chopped up and used in sauces to serve with steak. Or simply fry them in butter or olive oil and serve on toast. Do take the time to clean them carefully to remove any grit or soil. They are often used dried (but never raw) and are excellent in all mushroom dishes and as additions to stews and casseroles. They’re particularly good with chicken and are considered among the best mushrooms, along with ceps and chanterelles.